Thanksgiving and other holidays within the fall season typically means lots of cooking large meals for many people in the United States. However, many household fires are due to unsafe cooking practices or unattended cooking. It’s important to understand the risks associated with using the oven and stove this holiday season, as well as the rest of the year!

Here are some general safety tips regarding stove and oven fire safety:

  • Never leave cooking food unattended.
    Unattended cooking is a major cause of house fires in the United States. If you must step away while cooking, turn off the stove.
  • Keep the area near the stove clear.
    Especially flammable items such as paper towels, paper plates, oven mitts, etc. Also, make sure long hair is tied back and do not wear loose sleeves when cooking on the stove as they may catch on fire.
  • Keep a fire extinguisher nearby.
    Make sure it is a location that is easily accessible. However, only attempt to put out a fire if it is small and contained. If the fire is large and spreading or if you are unsure of your ability to fully extinguish it, make sure everyone evacuates the building and call 911 immediately.
  • Keep your stove and oven clean.
    Food and grease leftover from previous cooking can ignite and start a fire in the kitchen. Keep these appliances clean as well as the area surrounding them to prevent this from happening.
  • Before turning on the oven, make sure there is nothing inside.
    Try not to use the oven as storage, especially for paper or electronic items. Turning on the oven when forgetting or not realizing there are items stored inside can result in a fire.
  • Never try to use water to put out a grease fire.
    If you use water, it can cause the burning grease to splash and the fire to spread. It is extremely dangerous to try to use water to extinguish a grease fire.
  • Don’t leave burners on that do not have a pot or pan on top, and don’t leave empty pots and pans on lit burners.
    Leaving burners lit with no pan leaves the flames exposed, which is a fire hazard as objects passing over may light and catch on fire. In addition, leaving empty pots and pans on a lit burner can cause damage to the cookware and even cause them to release chemicals or catch on fire depending on their material.
  • If contents in the oven catch on fire, keep the oven door closed and turn it off.
    Do not open the oven door if there is a small fire inside. If the fire does not go out on its own, call 911 and evacuate.

Remember, in the event of a fire evacuate everyone from the building and call 911. Remember to stay safe and alert when cooking with the oven and stove!

Royal Plus, Inc. understands that fire and smoke damage can seem catastrophic and overwhelming. Thankfully, our trusted fire damage repair, cleanup, and restoration experts are here to make a big problem seem small. Royal Plus will get your home or business back in order after a fire. If your home or business has experienced fire damage, call Royal Plus at (866) 404-7587 or head to to learn more.